One year ago yesterday I lost my Grandma. Everyday I think about her and everyday I wish I could talk to her again. I am so blessed to have had my Grandma for 25 wonderful years, she was my second mother and one of my dearest friends.
I am grateful she got to know my husband. Bret was extremely good to her, she was comfortable with him and he did whatever she asked of him. They enjoyed each other and were still creating little inside jokes between the 2 of them on our last visit to say good bye. I know my Grandma thought of him as a grandson, sending him birthday cards and caring for him because I did. I am so glad he went with me to visit them both in Florida and North Carolina, I loved being able to go to church with both my husband and my Grandparents. I am so happy she was there to see me marry him. He is an amazing man and I am glad she was able to see me walk down the aisle towards him. He and I can always talk about our memories of her because he knew her. Our children will only know my Grandma by hearing Bret and I talk about her.
I still get the desire to call my grandma every couple of days. Usually something happens and I think Grandma would love to know about this, probably find it funny too. Most of the time the things I want to talk to her about are motherhood and Madison. But throw in a little Bret, my mom, Kevin, work and even Grandpa and you can understand I miss my almost daily calls to her. Even when we talked often we would sometimes stay on the phone for 40 minutes. I really really miss her.
She knew I was pregnant but I really would have loved for her to feel Madison kick while I was pregnant. I would have loved to call her to tell her I was having a girl. I so would have loved her to know her first great grandchild was named after her. Instead I have to live with knowing that she knew about a future grandchild and enjoy the memories of theconversations we had about possible boy names. She really liked the name Davis, so don't be surprised if we are having a boy and it is an option.
I wish she was there to hold my baby girl and smile at her. I really wish I could call and tell her some of the funniest things Madison has done. I wish she was around when I gave birth and Madison had to stay in the hospital. Strangely only my mom and Grandma knew how to calm me down. I would have loved some of her little tid bits on how to raise a child, the same kind of tid bits I got when planning my wedding.
In honor of my Grandma not only does my child have her name, but I continue on the legacy of some of her little "peggyisms".
1. One would be "peggy days." It is a term she coined back when I was in middle school when we were visiting and she didn't want to do anything for the day. Basically you stay in your pajamas for most of the day and you do NOTHING. Just read a book, watch tv, do a puzzle, etc. I will gladly carry on that term, in fact I have gotten people outside of our family to use it as well.
2. I also continue on the infamous slippers. For MANY years, probably back to when my mom was young, she always wore the same Daniel Green slippers. After a while they were hard to find in stores but we found them on the internet and boom 2 more pairs were delivered 3 days later. When she walked they would make a distinct clacking noise, that noise will forever remain in my memory. Grandma had a brand new pair (there was always a back up) that was never worn in her closet when she passed away. I now wear them with pride.
3. My grandma had FANTASTIC legs. My mom has great legs and hopefully Madison and I will have them too. A McCarthy gene we will be glad to keep and pass on for generations to come.
4. And last, her fear of S-N-A-K-E-S. It was the first word I learned how to spell. She was so fearful she would never say the word, only spell it out. Whenever one came on the tv she would scream and turn away. When one would slither onto her driveway she would almost have a panic attack, which usually resulted in a call or email to my mother. Madison will learn the word S-N-A-K-E, only by spelling it.
Again I am truly blessed to have had my grandma for as long as I did. She was there for every important memory in my life and I loved visiting almost every spring break I had. I wear the necklace she gave me many years ago with pride and whenever someone compliments me on it I will always thank her. I am proud to be her granddaughter and I will gladly carry her in my heart daily. I hope she continues to rest in peace.
At my college graduation.


Well that made me cry...
ReplyDelete